Mountain biking is one of the most popular outdoor activities in the world, and for good reason. Not only is it an exciting and adrenaline-filled activity, but did you know there are also health benefits of mountain biking?
From improving heart health to being a full-body workout that improves strength and more, mountain biking can help you become a healthier and happier person.
There’s something about being out in a natural environment, doing a fun activity that counts as exercise that has a seriously positive impact on your life.
From the improved cardiovascular fitness to the increased strength and balance, mountain biking is an excellent way to improve your overall health. Not only does it help you get in shape, but it’s also an exciting and thrilling experience.
With the health benefits and meeting new friends, you can see why mountain bike riders get hooked on riding!
The cool thing is, it can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of your level of experience. If you love outdoor activities, mountain biking is a great way to get outside and enjoy the beauty of nature.
Whether you are an experienced mountain biker or a novice, you can reap the benefits of mountain biking by just getting out and exploring the trails.
With the right mountain bike, you can benefit from mountain biking in a number of ways.
Personally, we like Trek mountain bikes because they’re designed to be lightweight, durable and fast-handling.
Starting out with a good bike will make all the difference!
If you’re ready for a fun and exciting way to get fit or just enjoy outdoor activity, then mountain biking may be just the activity for you.
Keep reading to find out why it’s such a great way to get fit and healthy.
10 Health Benefits of Mountain Biking
Regular cycling has physical and mental health benefits. Whether you’re road cycling or hitting the trails on a mountain bike, it’s a low-impact sport with great benefits for everyone.
1. Improved Cardiovascular Health
Mountain biking is a great way to get your heart rate up and improve your overall heart health. It can help reduce high blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and reduce your risk of coronary heart disease.
Mountain biking can be serious cardio exercise that makes your heart work hard and improves your resting heart rate.
2. Improved Muscular Strength
Mountain biking requires you to use your entire body to move the bike, which seriously improves muscle strength. It can help you build strong legs, arms, and core muscles.
Sometimes you’re moving that bike of rough terrain, up hills, and over obstacles, using all of your small and large muscle groups.
Your muscles won’t have a choice but to get stronger if you’re mountain biking on a regular basis. Everything from your upper body to your feet will gain muscular strength!
If you are looking to increase your strength training to be a better rider, check out Flybird Fitness.
3. Improved Coordination
The constantly changing terrain of mountain biking requires you to be constantly aware of your surroundings. This helps you to develop agility and coordination as you ride.
4. Improved Energy Levels
Like all forms of exercise, mountain biking often will boost your daily energy levels. Not only from the regular exercise, but also from getting outside often.
There’s something about nature that rejuvenates your mind and body.
5. Stress Relief
Mountain biking is a great way to get away from the stresses of daily life. The physical activity helps to clear your mind and reduce anxiety.
Again, being outside can reduce stress levels like nothing else. Seriously, studies show that just staring at a forest improves your mental and physical health. Imagine what exercising in the mountains will do for you!
6. Improved Mental Health
Physical activity can help improve your mental health by releasing endorphins, which are natural mood enhancers. This can help reduce depression and improve your overall outlook on life. Again, being outside doesn’t hurt either.
There’s no better way, in my opinion, to improve your mental health than to spend time outdoors.
7. Improved Balance
Riding a mountain bike requires you to constantly adjust your body to the changing terrain. This helps to improve your balance and coordination.
8. Improved Social Connections
Mountain biking is a great way to get out and meet people. Joining a group ride or biking with friends can help you stay connected and build new relationships.
Of course, the social benefits of mountain biking only apply if you put yourself out there. There are tons of people who enjoy bike riding, and it’s a good way to build healthy relationships.
9. Weight Loss
If you’re mountain biking regularly enough, it can definitely result in weight loss for many people. Not only because you’re burning a lot of calories, but also because exercise and stress relief lower cortisol levels.
Cortisol is the stress hormone that does a lot of damage and makes it hard for you to lose weight. This is why it’s important to do activities, such as mountain biking, to lower cortisol.
10. Improved Sleep Quality
Exercise in general helps you sleep better. Mountain biking will take better sleep up a few notches, because it can be such a physically demanding activity. If you’re biking all the time, expect to sleep well!
Not only will biking help with your sleep, but being in nature also improves your quality of sleep.
Now that you know the health benefits of mountain biking, let’s look at some tips for getting started!
Mountain Biking Tips for Beginners
If you’re new to mountain biking, you’ll want to get a good start or it can easily be something that you won’t find fun at all. All you need is the right equipment and the right approach.
Get a good start and you’ll love mountain biking!
Wear a Helmet
- Make sure you always wear a helmet when you’re out on the trails. Your helmet should fit snugly and securely, and should be certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
Get the Right Bike
- Having the right bike for you is key to making mountain biking fun.
- Check out Trek bikes for seriously great bikes for beginner and expert mountain bikers.
Check Your Bike
- Before you head out, make sure your bike is in good working order. Check your brakes, gears, and tires, and make sure everything is properly adjusted.
Get Familiar With Gears
- Mountain biking will require you to make use of your gears, so make sure you’re comfortable shifting between them.
- Practice in an open area until you’re confident using your gears.
Stay in Control
- When you’re out on the trails, remember to keep your speed in check. Don’t go too fast, especially when you’re just starting out and find yourself downhill mountain biking.
Don’t Overdo It
- Ease into your rides and don’t push yourself too hard. Listen to your body and take frequent breaks when you need to.
- Start on easy trails and stay there until you’ve gained enough experience to feel totally comfortable doing harder trails.
- Make sure you have all the necessary supplies before you head out. Bring plenty of water, a cell phone, a first aid kit, and a bike pump.
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and will keep you cool. Make sure you have the right type of shoes for the terrain.
- Don’t wear loose fitting clothing that can get caught on anything.
- You can find riding gear on Amazon and other major biking websites.
Follow the Rules
- Respect the environment and other riders. Obey all the trail signs and obey the rules of the trails.
- If you prefer electric mountain bikes, be sure the trails you’re going on allows them.
- Mountain biking is one of the best ways to explore the outdoors. Don’t forget to enjoy the ride and take in the scenery!
We hope you’ve enjoyed these health benefits of mountain biking. Whether you live in a mountain town, or like to travel and find new trails, get outside, move your body, and enjoy nature.
Before you go, here are more posts you’ll enjoy:
The Best Family Campgrounds in NC Mountains
The Amazing Health Benefits of Walking Barefoot
No Bake Protein Energy Bites Recipe
Road Cycling Vs Mountain Biking