This vegan Asian chicken and pepper salad is a plant-based twist on an Asian grilled chicken salad.
It’s an easy and healthy meal that is rich with umami flavor which makes it the perfect healthy comfort food.
The warmth of the rice, chicken, and peppers combined with the cool, fresh, crisp lettuce is a mixture of flavors and textures that is so satisfying.
This simple salad makes a great light dinner or healthier lunch. It is filling and leaves you feeling great! It will become one of your favorite salad recipes!
Make this a non-vegan option by using sliced, grilled skinless chicken breasts, or rotisserie chicken breast, and chicken broth instead of vegetable broth to cook the rice.
This is the perfect recipe for a busy day of the week, especially if you’re using plant-based chicken because it cooks so quickly.
You’ll be surprised just how good healthy eating can taste when you try this delicious salad!
Why This Recipe Works
- Gluten Free
- Quick, easy, healthy meal
- Can be made non-vegan
- Great leftover and for meal prepping
- Perfect lunch or dinner main dish
Jasmine rice is a fragrant rice with a light nutty flavor similar to popcorn. Yes, popcorn! This rice is commonly used in Asian dishes because it compliments those amazing umami Asian flavors.
Using vegetable broth to cook the rice gives it an even more amazing flavor. You can use water or chicken broth if you’re making it non-vegan.
Sesame Oil (any oil)
Sesame oil is a nutty flavored oil that really adds so much to Asian dishes.
You can use other oils if you need to, but I highly recommend this one for this specific dish. If you do use a substitute, go for extra-virgin olive oil.
Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
Liquid aminos or soy sauce give you that salty umami flavor that no Asian rice dish should be without. You don’t want to skip this ingredient. It’s where the bulk of your flavor will come from.
Plant Based Chicken:
Plant-based chicken is a meat alternative that is lower in saturated fat and still high in protein and some healthy fats.
If you aren’t a fan of plant-based meats, you can swap this out for chickpeas or make this a non-vegan meal with chicken. You chicken or “chicken” can be prepared in crumbles, chunks, or thin strips.
Red Bell Pepper
Red bell peppers give add a little bit of sweetness to this dish that makes the flavors more complex and mouth watering.
Green Bell Pepper
Green bell peppers are not as sweet as red peppers. Instead, they have a more earthy, green vegetable type taste and bring a freshness to this chicken and pepper salad.
Organic Romaine Lettuce
Organic is always healthier, but if organic isn’t an option, that’s fine too! It won’t impact the flavor of this meal.
Romaine lettuce is best for this recipe because it’s crispy and crunchy and adds that texture element that makes it so yummy.
Salt & Pepper
Salt and pepper are added to the chicken and pepper mixture during cooking. If you feel like the liquid aminos offer enough salt, you can skip this ingredient. But the black pepper adds a tiny bit of warm spice that really makes a difference.
Sesame Seeds (optional)
Sesame seeds go on in the final step as a topping that is totally optional. These add a nice nutty flavor to this recipe, especially if you use toasted sesame seeds.
Prep peppers and lettuce. Wash and prep peppers and lettuce. Chop peppers and cut lettuce into your desired consistency.
Cook rice. Bring Jasmine rice and vegetable broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 18 minutes.
Cook plant-based chicken. While the rice is cooking, cook your plant-based chicken in a large saucepan. Follow the directions on the packaging.
Add Bell peppers to “chicken.” A few minutes before the chicken is done, throw your bell peppers into the pan with the chicken.
Season. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to chicken and pepper mixture. Stir and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add liquid aminos. Add 1/2 cup liquid aminos (or soy sauce) into the pan with the peppers and chicken. Let simmer until rice is done.
Add liquid aminos and sesame oil to rice. When rice is done, add 2 tbsp of liquid aminos and 2 tbsp of sesame oil in with rice. Fluff with fork and remove from heat.
Plate. Layer ingredients in a small bowl. Lettuce, rice, and top with chicken and peppers. You can add a splash of liquid aminos or soy sauce if you’d like more dressing.
Top and serve. If desired, top with a pinch of sesame seeds and enjoy.
- Rinse the uncooked jasmine rice 3-4 times until the water runs clear. This will get rid of excess starch that makes it soggy.
- Tamari can also be used in place of liquid aminos or soy sauce.
- If you want to sub a different lettuce or leafy green, any mixed greens will work.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN AND PEPPER SALAD?
This vegan Asian chicken and pepper salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
For freshness, store the lettuce separately from the rest of the ingredients. and add a paper towel in the container to soak up moisture.
HOW LONG DOES CHICKEN AND PEPPER SALAD STAY GOOD IN THE FRIDGE?
This great salad will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
When reheating, wait to add the lettuce until after the rest of the ingredients are warmed up so it stays crispy.
Vegan Asian Chicken and Pepper Salad
- 1.5 cups Jasmine Rice
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil Any oil of your choice will work
- 3/4 cup Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 16 oz Plant based chicken
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 6-8 cups Organic Romaine lettuce
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 1/4 cup Sesame seeds optional
- Wash and prep peppers and lettuce. Chop peppers and cut lettuce into your desired consistency.
- Bring Jasmine rice and vegetable broth to a boil in a large sauce pan. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 18 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, cook your plant-based chicken in a large sauce pan. Follow the directions on the packaging.
- A few minutes before the chicken is done, throw your bell peppers into the pan with the chicken.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to chicken and pepper mixture. Stir and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup liquid aminos (or soy sauce) into the pan with the peppers and chicken. Let simmer until rice is done.
- When rice is done, add 2 tbsp of liquid aminos and 2 tbsp of sesame oil in with the rice. Fluff with fork and remove from heat.
- Layer ingredients in salad size bowls. Lettuce, rice, and top with chicken and peppers. You can add a splash of liquid aminos or soy sauce if you'd like more dressing.
- If desired, top with a pinch of sesame seeds and enjoy!
More Tasty Recipes!
The Best Sandwich Bread Recipe
Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
The Best Sandwich Bread Recipe