My mouth waters when I think about this buffalo chicken sliders recipe! The combination of crispy chicken or tofu, creamy cheese, and spicy buffalo sauce is a flavor explosion!
These sliders are definitely a crowd-pleaser – they’re sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. If your family likes a little kick of spice in their food, then they will love this recipe!
Buffalo sliders aren’t just for game day, this slider recipe will be a new family favorite weekday meal!
Why This Recipe Works
I love a meal that you can make in under 30 minutes that’s satisfying and crave-worthy!
What’s great about this meal is how easy it would be to make it for those wanting a plant-based or vegan meal and those who don’t at the same time.
Whether you use chicken or tofu for these sliders, everyone will be happy!
- Easy recipe
- Vegan friendly
- Packed with flavor
- Makes a perfect appetizer or meal
- Perfect size for a party food or snack
- Great weeknight dinner
- Ready in 10-15 minutes (20-25 minutes if using chicken)
Let’s talk about the simple ingredients for this easy buffalo chicken cheese sliders recipe.
All the ingredient details are on the recipe card at the bottom of this post, along with full instructions.
- Organic Extra Firm Tofu or chicken breasts: If you’re using tofu, be sure to get extra firm tofu. Extra firm tofu has less water content so it will get crispy and it has a firmer texture that works best to mimic the texture of chicken. If you’re using chicken, use chicken breasts or a rotisserie chicken to make it even easier and faster. This is a great recipe for leftover chicken as well.
- Slider Rolls: You can use any sliders you like for this recipe. King’s Hawaiian rolls are a tasty option or you could even use soft dinner rolls.
- Buffalo Sauce: Buffalo sauce is the star of this show! You can buy it premade buffalo wing sauce or even make your own with hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Shredded Colby-Jack Cheese (regular or vegan cheese): You can use regular or vegan cheese for this recipe. Other types of cheese will work as well, like cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese crumbles, or any kind of melty cheese you prefer.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used in this recipe to fry the chicken or tofu. Oil helps the tofu get crispy, golden brown, and delicious!
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper don’t need any introduction, just know you don’t have to use them if you don’t want to. The flavor of this meal will be amazing either way!
- Sliced Pickles (optional): Pickles just have a natural place on a buffalo chicken sandwich. They have a cool, tangy flavor and a crunchy texture that just takes the flavor of these sliders to another level.
Preheat oven to 375. The sliders will go in for 5 minutes after preparation.
Shred your tofu (or chicken). The large holes on a cheese grater work best for shredding tofu. If you’re using chicken, rotisserie chicken should be shredded at this step.
When using tofu, be sure to press out all of the moisture before shredding it.
If you’re using chicken breasts, you can leave them whole for now.
Heat the oil. In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat your olive oil for frying.
Add your shredded tofu to the pan or chicken. Let cook in the oil for 3-4 minutes without touching it. A crispy crust will begin to form.
If using chicken breasts, you’ll need to adjust the cooking time. If you’re using rotisserie chicken, skip this step and just heat (if needed) and skip to adding the buffalo sauce.
Use a spatula to scrap and stir the tofu. Let sit for 1-3 minutes untouched.
Add a large pinch of salt and pepper. This is optional.
Add buffalo sauce. Turn off the heat and stir in the buffalo sauce.
Prep cookie sheet. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice slider buns. Slice open your slider buns and place the bottoms onto the lined pan.
Add tofu mixture or chicken to buns. Spread the shredded tofu (or chicken) to the bottom of the buns.
Add cheese. Evenly spread cheese over the tofu or chicken.
Place the top buns over the cheese.
Bake. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 5 minutes – just enough to melt the cheese and warm the buns.
Remove from oven. Add pickles if desired, and serve warm.
- Press the excess liquid from the tofu before shredding. All tofu is packaged in water to keep it fresh. Extra firm tofu will be packaged with the least water, but tofu is like a sponge and will soak it all up. Pressing it out will help your tofu get crispy. You can use a tofu press or just place the block of tofu between paper towels and firmly squeeze.
- If using tofu, making these ahead of time to eat is okay, but wait to add the buffalo sauce until you’re heating them to be served. The tofu will soak up all the sauce. Alternatively, add more after the sauce soaks in for even more spicy buffalo flavor. The shredded buffalo chicken will be fine with the sauce added ahead of time.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. For best results, store the buffalo tofu or shredded chicken mixture separate from the buns.
- Drizzle ranch dressing or bleu cheese dressing on your sliders or serve on the side for dipping.
- Add a ranch seasoning packet to the buffalo sauce to cool down the spiciness if desired.
- Brush melted butter on the top half of the rolls for a richer flavor and slightly crispy buns.
Why is my fried tofu not crispy?
Make sure you press as much of the water from your tofu as possible before cooking. A tofu press is one of the best things you can purchase. if you cook with tofu regularly.
Should I marinate tofu before I fry it?
Tofu is like a sponge so it’s great for marinating, but it’s not necessary. Just like when using meat, marinating always increases the flavor intensity, so if you have time it can’t hurt to marinate your tofu!
What goes well with buffalo chicken sandwiches?
Serve your buffalo chicken sandwich or sliders with celery sticks or carrot sticks with ranch or blue cheese dressing, french fries, onion rings, coleslaw, or a side salad.
Before you go, here are more posts you’ll enjoy: