Next up in our Disney World series are the best Disney pins to collect!
Embarking on the enchanting journey of Disney Pin Collecting opens a world of possibilities, where each pin is a key to unlocking cherished memories.
Whether you’re a newcomer or a seasoned collector, the realm of Disney pins is vast and filled with treasures waiting to be discovered.
In our last post, What is Pin Trading at Disney World, we introduced you to this great way of collecting.
Let’s dive into the best pins to collect, each one carrying a sprinkle of that magical Disney dust.
Discovering the Best Disney Pins:
1. Hidden Mickey Pins:
- Why Collect: The allure of mystery and surprise makes Hidden Mickey pins a favorite among collectors. Keep an eye out for these elusive icons subtly woven into pin designs.
- Where to Find Them: Seek out Hidden Mickey pins on cast member lanyards, pin boards, and various locations across the parks.
2. Limited Edition Pins:
- Why Collect: Limited edition pins add an element of exclusivity to your collection. Commemorating special events, anniversaries, or celebrations, these pins are a must-have for collectors seeking unique treasures.
- Where to Find Them: Explore special events, designated pin trading locations, and official Disney stores for limited edition releases.
3. Official Disney Character Pins:
- Why Collect: Celebrate your favorite Disney characters with pins featuring iconic personalities. It’s a classic and personal way to express your love for the enchanting world of Disney.
- Where to Find Them: Peruse the parks, Disney stores, and cast member lanyards for a vast selection of character pins.
4. Starter Sets and Packs:
- Why Collect: Perfect for beginners, starter sets and packs provide a lanyard and a few pins to kickstart your Disney pin collection.
- Where to Find Them: Accessible at merchandise shops, Disney outlets, and various locations throughout the parks.
5. Special Event and Celebration Pins:
- Why Collect: Commemorate your visit during special events or celebrations with pins that encapsulate the unique magic of the moment.
- Where to Find Them: Attend special events, festivals, or celebrations at Disney parks for exclusive and specially crafted pins.
6. Disney Theme Park Icons:
- Why Collect: Pins featuring iconic symbols of Disney theme parks, such as Cinderella’s Castle or Spaceship Earth, hold timeless appeal and capture the essence of the parks.
- Where to Find Them: Explore gift shops, pin trading boards, and cast member lanyards for these iconic pins.
7. Star Wars Pins:
- Why Collect: Immerse yourself in a galaxy far, far away with a diverse array of pins featuring beloved Star Wars characters and scenes. We saw plenty of awesome pin sets that were Star Wars themed.
- Where to Find Them: Journey into Star Wars-themed areas, shops, and events within Disney parks.
8. Open Edition Pins:
- Why Collect: Embrace the freedom of choice with open edition pins, which offer a variety of designs and are readily available for collectors.
- Where to Find Them: Explore merchandise locations, Disney stores, and pin trading boards for an extensive selection.
9. Pin Trading Boards and Cast Member Lanyards:
- Why Collect: Engage in the thrill of pin trading by exploring cast member lanyards and pin trading boards scattered throughout the parks.
- Where to Find Them: Cast members often wear lanyards, and you can discover trading boards in shops and designated pin trading locations.
10. Personal Favorites:
- Why Collect: Make your collection uniquely yours by choosing pins that resonate with your heart and hold sentimental value.
- Where to Find Them: Explore various avenues, from trading with cast members to purchasing pins that speak to your individual Disney story.
The Most Sought-After Disney Pins:
While every Disney pin holds its own charm, certain pins have gained legendary status among collectors. These most sought-after treasures often include:
- Limited Release Pins: These combine exclusivity with unique designs, making them highly coveted.
- Pins from Disney Resorts: Pins specific to certain resorts or locations carry a special allure.
- First Edition Pins: Pins from the initial release of a series or collection often become sought after by avid collectors.
- Retired Pins: As pins are retired over time, their scarcity increases their desirability.
In the vibrant world of Disney Pin Collecting, the best pins are those that tell your story and capture the essence of the magic you’ve experienced.
Whether you’re drawn to the mystery of Hidden Mickeys, the exclusivity of limited editions, or the timeless appeal of character pins, each pin adds a chapter to your enchanting Disney journey.
So, let the collection begin, and may each pin bring a touch of that whimsical Disney magic into your life!
Best Places to Trade Disney Pins in the Parks
Pin trading at Disney parks and resorts is a delightful experience, and there are several prime locations where you can engage in this magical tradition.
Here are some of the best places to trade pins within the parks and resorts:
1. Pin Central (Epcot):
- Location: Near Spaceship Earth.
- Why Trade Here: Pin Central is a dedicated hub for pin trading in Epcot, offering a diverse selection of pins and a central location for trades.
2. Frontierland Trading Post (Magic Kingdom):
- Location: Frontierland in Magic Kingdom.
- Why Trade Here: Frontierland Trading Post is known for its Western-themed pin trading experience. Cast members are often available to trade in this charming setting.
3. Big Top Souvenirs (Magic Kingdom):
- Location: Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom.
- Why Trade Here: The Big Top Souvenirs offers a whimsical atmosphere for pin trading, and cast members at this location are enthusiastic about trading.
4. Discovery Trading Company (Animal Kingdom):
- Location: Discovery Island in Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- Why Trade Here: This location is a treasure trove for pin trading, with a variety of pins to choose from. The immersive setting adds to the experience.
5. The Darkroom (Hollywood Studios):
- Location: Sunset Boulevard in Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Why Trade Here: The Darkroom provides a cool and shaded location for pin trading. It’s an excellent spot to browse and trade with cast members. When you walk in, you will see the large pin board off to the right. Plus, there are some benches around the corner for you to look through your new pins. You can also meet up with other Disney fans and share your favorite pins with one another.
6. Disney Springs Pin Traders:
- Location: Disney Springs.
- Why Trade Here: Disney Springs Pin Traders is a dedicated store for pin enthusiasts. The diverse selection and enthusiastic cast members make it a must-visit location.
7. Character Meet and Greets:
- Locations: Various parks.
- Why Trade Here: Some character meet and greets feature cast members with lanyards ready for pin trading. It’s a unique opportunity to trade with characters and create memorable interactions.
8. Parades and Shows:
- Locations: Throughout the parks.
- Why Trade Here: Cast members at parades and shows often have lanyards and are ready to trade with guests during these events.
Best Places to Trade Pins at Disney Resorts:
1. Resort Gift Shops:
- Why Trade Here: Many Disney resort gift shops offer a selection of pins for trading. Check with cast members at the registers or concierge desks for pin trading opportunities.
2. Front Desk and Concierge Areas:
- Why Trade Here: Some resorts have pin boards or cast members at the front desk or concierge areas who are available for pin trading.
3. Community Hall (at select resorts):
- Why Trade Here: Community Halls, available at some Disney Vacation Club resorts, often have pin trading activities and boards.
4. Recreation Areas:
- Why Trade Here: Look for pin trading opportunities at resort recreation areas or during special events organized by the resort.
5. Pool Areas:
- Why Trade Here: In some instances, pool areas at resorts may host pin trading activities. Check with resort staff for details.
6. Pin Trading Nights (at select resorts):
- Why Trade Here: Some Disney Vacation Club resorts host Pin Trading Nights, allowing guests to trade with each other and with special guests.
Remember, the best places to trade pins may vary, and new opportunities may arise.
So keep an eye out for cast members wearing lanyards and be ready to embark on your pin trading adventure throughout the magical world of Disney!
How to Identify Fake Pins
Official Disney pins are special pins! When visiting a Walt Disney World resort or park, you want to make sure you trade only real Disney pins.
Identifying fake or counterfeit Disney pins is crucial for collectors to ensure they have authentic pieces in their collection.
While Disney takes measures to combat counterfeit pins, it’s always wise for collectors to be vigilant.
Here are some tips on how to identify fake pins:
Quality of Manufacturing:
Authentic Disney pins are generally of high quality. Look for signs of poor craftsmanship, such as uneven enamel, rough edges, or misspelled words, which can be indicators of counterfeit pins.
Coloring and Enamel:
Pay attention to the coloring and enamel. Genuine Disney pins have vibrant and well-defined colors. If the colors appear dull, off, or bleeding into each other, it may be a sign of a fake.
Back Stamp and ©Disney:
Authentic Disney pins typically have a back stamp that includes the copyright symbol (©Disney) and information about the pin’s origin. Check for the presence of these markings and ensure they are clear and legible.
Weight and Materials:
Genuine Disney pins are made with quality materials. If a pin feels unusually lightweight or is made from cheap materials, it could be a fake. Authentic Disney pins have a solid, substantial feel.
Spelling and Details:
Check for any misspellings or inaccuracies in the details. Authentic Disney pins are meticulously designed and produced, so errors in characters’ names, logos, or other details are uncommon.
Some authentic pins are numbered sequentially. If a pin claims to be part of a limited edition or a specific set, check if it has a unique number. Be cautious if the numbering seems inconsistent or if multiple pins have the same number.
Packaging and Presentation:
Authentic Disney pins often come in official packaging. Check the packaging for signs of poor quality, such as blurry printing or incorrect logos. Be wary of pins sold without any packaging.
Compare with Official Disney Images:
Familiarize yourself with official images of Disney pins. Compare the pin in question with official images from Disney’s official pin trading website or other reputable sources.
Purchase from Reputable Sellers:
When buying pins, especially rare or limited edition ones, choose reputable sellers. Purchase from Disney parks, official Disney stores, or authorized dealers to reduce the risk of buying counterfeit pins.
Consult Pin Trading Communities:
Engage with Disney pin trading communities and forums. Experienced collectors often share information about fake pins and can provide guidance on what to look for.
Use a Magnet:
Some counterfeit pins may not be magnetic, as they may be made from different materials. While not foolproof, checking a pin’s response to a magnet can be an additional measure.
If you ever doubt the authenticity of a pin, consider seeking the expertise of experienced collectors or contacting Disney Pin Trading for verification. It is also likely a Disney cast member will be able to help you with trading pins.
Staying informed and vigilant will help you build a collection of genuine Disney magic.
Before you go, here are more posts you’ll enjoy:
Before you go, here are more posts you’ll enjoy: